International Medical Group® (IMG) a leader in designing, distributing and administering global medical insurance benefits, has announced its enhanced flagship marine group medical insurance program.
According to IMG, the enhancements enable ship owners to provide their crew comprehensive coverage for eligible medical expenses, which is increasingly important with the enactment of the Maritime Labour Convention (MLC, 2006).
The MLC, 2006, which took effect August 20, 2013 and became binding in international law, establishes minimum working and living standards for all seafarers on those ships. As such the MLC, 2006, requires ship owners to provide health protection and medical care to seafarers on board their ship. According to IMG, the IMMI program can help alleviate some of the challenges that owners may face in finding the appropriate medical care coverage for their crew.
Some of the benefits and optional riders offered under this program include:
- $5 million maximum benefit per insured person per period of coverage
- Primary to the vessel's Protection and Indemnity Insurance (P&I)
- Crew Member Return – Provides reimbursement of transportation expenses to reunite insured persons with the ship in the event they received eligible inpatient medical stay that didn't require emergency medical evacuation, and their assigned ship leaves
- Optional Maritime Rider – Provides additional benefits for sudden and unexpected recurrence of pre-existing conditions. Provides for the reimbursement of transportation costs for the insured person's return to the designated city/country in the event that crew member is deemed medically unfit for duty.
- Coverage for eligible dependents available
- Amateur Sailboat Racing
- Adventure Sports Rider – Provides coverage for certain adventure sport activities that would normally be excluded
Additionally, when seeking treatment outside the U.S., IMG works closely with insured crew members to assist them in locating, requesting and coordinating information for care in order to obtain the most efficient and cost-effective care available. IMG also provides international utilization management, comprehensive case management, transplant network provider access, out-of-network claim negotiation and medical claim review.
More information: www.imglobal.com/img-insurance/marine-crew-insurance/international-marine-medical-insurance.aspx.