Scandlines Cancel P+S WERFTEN Ferry Contract

Press Release
Wednesday, November 28, 2012

P+S WERFTEN's insolvency administrator unfazed by Scandlines' decision to cancel construction contract for two ferries.

Berthold Brinkmann, insolvency administrator for P+S WERFTEN, issued the following statement in response:

"I am unperturbed, because I had included the cancellation by Scandlines in my calculations. In recent weeks we had made the two ships, the shipbuilding premises, staff and all construction plans available to Scandlines as well as to other shipbuilders and sub-contractors and in addition we conducted tests ourselves on the ships. Scandlines did not inform us to the scope agreed on about the results of the negotiations with the other shipbuilders.
 
Nonetheless, the commercial offer made by Scandlines is also not acceptable. We presented the offer to the board of creditors this past Thursday. The board of creditors was also not willing to engage in this offer. For this reason we are currently in negotiations with interested parties who are submitting considerably higher bids than Scandlines."

Background
Earlier Scandlines informed the administrator it had not been possible to find a solution to the severe technical problems that have occurred during the building process delaying the delivery. Accordingly, the contracts were now cancelled on the basis of the yard’s failure to construct the vessels in line with the contractual specifications.

Initially, the introduction of the new ferries on the Gedser – Rostock route was planned for this summer. All payments made to P+S Werften GmbH are covered by bank guarantees.

Scandlines said however, that it had invested substantially into the newbuilding project with manpower, marketing activities and the introduction of an extra vessel during the summer months in 2012.
 
 

Maritime Reporter June 2014 Digital Edition
FREE Maritime Reporter Subscription
Latest Maritime News    rss feeds

Contracts

Diana Containerships Q2 & 1H 2014 Financial Results

Greece-based Diana Containerships Inc., a global shipping company specializing in the ownership of containerships, has reported net income of $0.6 million for the second quarter of 2014,

China Shipyards Bag the Week's Ocean-going Newbuild Orders

Reported ordering this week has been exclusively focussed on the Chinese yards, says Clarkson Hellas in their latest 'S&P Weekly Bulletin'. Dry bulk carriers COSCO

Scorpio Tankers Report Q2, 1H 2014 Profit Slip

Scorpio Tankers Inc. has reported its results for the three and six months ended June 30, 2014. Highlights excerpted here as follows: Results for the three months ended June 30,

Ferries

Marseilles Fos Reports Mixed First Half

First-half container traffic at leading French port Marseilles Fos totalled 583,287 teu – up 7% on the first six months last year - marked by a 10% increase at the deepsea Fos terminals.

Police Kill 2 Kenyans Suspected of Planning Ferry Attack

Kenyan police said on Friday they shot and killed two armed men suspected of planning an attack on a ferry in the port city of Mombasa after one of them tried to hurl a grenade at approaching police.

Cause of S.Korea Ferry Businessman's Death Remains Unknown

Yoo's body too badly decomposed to determine cause of death; mystery surrounding final days of de-factor owner of doomed ferry deepens. Yoo's son arrested in latest capture of family members.

 
 
Maritime Careers / Shipboard Positions Maritime Security Navigation Pipelines Pod Propulsion Port Authority Ship Electronics Ship Repair Shipbuilding / Vessel Construction Sonar
rss | archive | history | articles | privacy | terms and conditions | contributors | top maritime news | about us | copyright | maritime magazines
maritime security news | shipbuilding news | maritime industry | shipping news | maritime reporting | workboats news | ship design | maritime business

Time taken: 0.1102 sec (9 req/sec)