IMO Launch Day of the Seafarer 2014 'Toolkit'
IMO once again asks people everywhere to show their appreciation for seafarers and their contribution to global prosperity on the Day of the Seafarer, 25, June, and have launched a promotional toolkit to help them to do so.
At the heart of this year’s campaign is the simple sentence "Seafarers brought me....". IMO is inviting everyone to complete the sentence with a word of their choice and post it on social media, adding the hashtag "#thankyouseafarers". The missing word can be anything that came by sea: from the cars people drive, the food people eat, the clothes people wear, the gadgets they use or the furniture they sit on.
To help spread the campaign globally, IMO’s media and communications team has developed a toolkit, which features a variety of different content items and materials all designed to reinforce the campaign’s message.
The toolkit includes:
- a short animated film that celebrates the unseen connections between those who serve at sea and the things we take for granted in our everyday lives
- a video message from IMO Secretary-General Koji Sekimizu, filmed amid the bustle of one of Europe’s busiest ports
- text version of the Secretary-General’s message in several languages
- Day of the Seafarer logos in several languages
- Day of the seafarer banners and badges
- stickers featuring the “Seafarers brought me…” motto
The IMO explains that in previous years, participants have used the online toolkit to create their own campaign content, ranging from a simple photograph posted on social media through to more imaginative uses such as banners on public transport or cakes, baked in the form of the campaign logo! Blogs, videos and photo collections are other ways to participate in the campaign. IMO is hoping that the 2014 toolkit will spark similar innovation and looks forward to sharing the results on social media.
The Day of the Seafarer 2014 toolkit is now available online on the IMO website: http://bit.ly/1jvZ69c