Stevedore Strikes to Hobble Portugal's Major Port
Inchcape Shipping Services advises of strike action at Lisbon commercial ports by the Stevedores’ Union which is set to have a major impact on port operations in the coming weeks.
It is anticipated that the ongoing wave of strike action will cause major backlogs at Lisbon commercial ports which already have a shortage of Stevedores gangs.
The following periods of strike action have been announced by Stevedores at Lisbon port commercial terminals (tanker terminals currently remain unaffected):
- From 6th to 13th Nov 4 hours stoppage, every day 09h00/10h00 + 15h00/16h00 + 18h00/19h00 + 22h00/23h00 on weekdays
- From 13th Nov to 20th Nov 4 hours stoppage, every day 09h00/10h00 + 15h00/16h00 + 18h00/19h00 + 22h00/23h00 on weekdays
- From 20th Nov to 27th Nov 4 hours stoppage, every day 09h00/10h00 + 15h00/16h00 + 18h00/19h00 + 22h00/23h00 on weekdays
- All periods whenever any outside worker or truck driver is used by the terminals
The Stevedores’ union has also announced strike action on work carried out on any vessel at Lisbon port Liscont Container Terminal during the following periods:
• On 15/11/2013 - from 08h00 up to 08h00 on 16/11/2013
• On 18/11/2013 - from 08h00 up to 08h00 on 20/11/2013
In addition, Liscont Terminal has advised that due to operational constraints, they cannot service operations during the periods between the days of strike action, which means that no operations will be performed from 15/11/2013 08h00 until 20/11/2013 08h00 at Liscont Terminal.
At Setubal and Figueira da Foz ports, strike action only applies for vessels deviated from Lisbon port.