This Day in Coast Guard History – April 26
1898- During the Spanish-American War, Morrill, Hudson, and Hamilton, formerly Revenue Cutters and recently armed for service in the so-called "Mosquito Fleet," passed through Hampton Roads and after asking formal permission of the Commodore, proceeded to Key West. From that point they joint the Navy ship's of the Cuban blockading fleet.
1899-On April 26, the Revenue Cutter Service signed a lease with two prominent Baltimore landowners for 36 acres of farmland surrounding Arundel Cove, Maryland. Two months later, LT John Moore, USRCS, arrived aboard the side-wheeler Colfax to establish the "Revenue Cutter Station at Curtis Bay," today's United States Coast Guard Yard. Happy Birthday, Coast Guard Yard!
1909- Quoddy Head, Maine- The schooner General Scott dragged her anchors during the night and drifted into a dangerous position three miles NE of station. At 7: 00 am the life-saving crew went to her assistance in the surfboat. Nothing could be done until flood tide when surfmen piloted a towboat in to her. She was towed out to safety.
(Source: USCG Historian’s Office)