Yayasan Sabah Group is set to play an active role in the chemical marine transportation industry, planning to expand its involvement in this sector with the acquisition of more tankers, the Business Times reported.
The group through its joint-venture company, GS Tankers Sdn Bhd
, inked a shipbuilding contract for the construction and sale of a chemical tanker with Nok Bong Shipbuilding Co Ltd, a shipbuilder from Koje City, Kyungnam, South Korea. GS Tankers, a joint-venture company between Yayasan Sabah subsidiary Yayasan Sabah Shipping Sdn Bhd
and Gagasan Carriers Sdn Bhd, was set up to own and operate the new 10,800-deadweight-tonne chemical tanker costing $19.5 million which is expected to be delivered by August next year. The vessel will have 12 chemical cargo tanks with capacity of 12,000 cu m each, suitable for carrying many types of chemical cargo like methanol as well as palm oil. Yayasan Sabah Shipping would finance 90 percent of the vessel cost with the remaining 10 percent to be borne by GS Carriers.