Marine Link
Friday, October 28, 2016

3.MAJ Delivers Innovative Tanker

March 9, 2000

Croatian-based shipyard, 3.MAJ Brodogradilište, delivered the first of a contracted four-part tanker series this past August. Named M/T Margara, the 71,345-tdw oil tanker was constructed for Monte Carlo based owners subsidiary Doria Shipping Co., registered in Valetta, Malta. The $150 million contract for the vessels' construction was signed in March 1997, with a term loan facility arranged by Merrill Lynch Intl. of London, who provided financing during construction. The Croatian Government, who arranged for a counter bank guarantee to be obtained from Croatian Bank for Reconstruction and Development, provided additional assistance. The Maltese-flagged, ABS-classed vessel, which is intended for transportation of crude oil and oil products, measures 750 ft. (228.5 m) with a gt of 40,705. Its cargo space is divided by one corrugated longitudinal bulkhead, providing five pairs of cargo tanks and one pair of slop tanks. In addition to the usual double bottom throughout cargo space, double sides have been applied there, as well as in the vessel's fuel oil tanks, thus providing compliance with the most stringent international environmental requirements. Cargo and ballast tanks have been coated with epoxy paint, and engine room controls are automated. The vessel is powered by one Wärtsilä two-stroke marine diesel engine developing 12,000 kW at 105-rpm. Propellers consist o f one right handed Ni-A1 bronze four-blade, while its electronic power plant boasts three diesel generator sets, each with Wärtsilä diesel engine and ABB generator, in addition to one emergency diesel generator set by Scania and one Stamford generator. Each pair of Margara's cargo tanks (P&S) and pair of slop tanks is arranged with independent pipeline to cross-over manfold. Discharge valves are close to the cargo pumps, which are hydraulically operated from the cargo control room. Capable of discharging 5,400 cu. m./hr. at 130 mlc, the vessel is equipped with four electric driven and three diesel engine driven hydraulic power units.

Maritime Reporter Magazine Cover Oct 2016 - Marine Design Annual

Maritime Reporter and Engineering News’ first edition was published in New York City in 1883 and became our flagship publication in 1939. It is the world’s largest audited circulation magazine serving the global maritime industry, delivering more insightful editorial and news to more industry decision makers than any other source.

Maritime Reporter E-News subscription

Maritime Reporter E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

Subscribe for Maritime Reporter E-News