Marine Link
Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Aker MTW Werft Secures Container Vessels

November 18, 2002

Aker MTW Werft (AMTW) in Wismar has secured contracts to build an additional six container vessels of its MTW 2500 vessel design for Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines (IRISL), the Teheran based shipowner. The total contract value is about $205 million. Two of the vessels will be built by Kvaerner Warnow Werft (KWW) in Rostock-Warnemünde. The synergies within the Aker Kvaerner Yards companies contributed strongly to the success of the two German yards on this bid. The four vessels that will be built by AMTW will be delivered between end of 2003 and mid-2004 while KWW will deliver two vessels in the second quarter of 2004. By combining the resources of the AMTW and KWW yards, the two German yards are able to complete this series of six container vessels by mid-2004. Each of the yards would not be able to meet such a tight schedule separately. Both under management of Aker Kvaerner Yards, AMTW and KWW have operated under a joint interim management team since the end of September. As previously reported and with effect from the end of 2002, the two yards will be combined into one company with yard sites in both Wismar and Rostock-Warnemünde. Aker Yards will own 60 percent of the combined business, while Aker Kvaerner will own the remaining 40 percent. The joint production of the vessels will be a further step in the process to integrate the two yard sites and to adjust and optimize the working processes. The MTW 2500 vessels are 680.4 ft. (207.4 m) long and 97.7 ft. (28.8 m) wide, with a dead weight of 33,900 tonnes. Each has a total container stowage capacity of 2,478 TEU with 200 reefer sockets. With a main engine output of 21,560 kilowatts, thevessels have a service speed of 22.3 kn in design draught of 10.1 m.


Maritime Reporter Magazine Cover Sep 2016 - Maritime & Ship Security

Maritime Reporter and Engineering News’ first edition was published in New York City in 1883 and became our flagship publication in 1939. It is the world’s largest audited circulation magazine serving the global maritime industry, delivering more insightful editorial and news to more industry decision makers than any other source.

Subscribe
Maritime Reporter E-News subscription

Maritime Reporter E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

Subscribe for Maritime Reporter E-News