Globe Wireless announced the availability of a new version of the Rydex software. Now branded GlobeRydex, the software is a ship/shore satellite communications solution for the maritime industry.
Customers use the GlobeRydex software either through the public hub environment (a service where ships connect to a shoreside hub managed by Globe Wireless) or a private hub configuration (where the shoreside server is kept and maintained at the customer’s premises).
“In past years Rydex has seen only minimal software updates. It was in need of enhancements and maintenance.” commented Shane Rossbacher, Vice President of Product Management with Globe Wireless. “Since Globe Wireless acquired SeaWave & Rydex, we have undertaken significant effort to improve the Rydex system.”
Mr. Rossbacher continued, “The first phase of improvements addressed the public hub infrastructure. The hardware, network connections, Internet gateway have all been upgraded, replaced, or improved to increase performance and stability. We have also implemented automated network monitoring through our 24x7 network operations department.”
The new version of Rydex represents the second phase of improvements. In addition to software fixes, this version introduces a number of new features including:
• Improved compression using 7ZIP, resulting in shorter data transfer times
• Extended support for Fleet, Fleet Broadband, and Iridium OpenPort satellite hardware
• True message level split billing for satellite airtime
• Windows Vista support
• Full color interactive vector weather charts in 3, 5 and 10-day forecasts
• Shipboard virus protection, extending to all shipboard PCs
• Forms support, including US Coast Guard eNOAD and Ballast Water, along with a sophisticated suite of ISM templates
Frank J. Coles, President & CEO of Globe Wireless commented, “This release is a culmination of a significant amount of research and development of the product that we inherited from SeaWave and Inmarsat. We are committed to servicing our loyal Rydex public and private hub users, and we also plan to offer Rydex to new customers. Customers can look forward to future software releases with additional advanced enhancements.”
Globe Wireless serves over 550 ship operators with over 9,000 ships using its products and services.