Deepwater Horizon: All Criminal Claims Resolved

Press Release
Wednesday, January 30, 2013

BP announces US District Court’s acceptance of its plea relating to the Deepwater Horizon accident.

BP announce that the US District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana has accepted the company’s plea resolving all federal criminal charges against the company stemming from the Deepwater Horizon accident, oil spill, and response. The company offered its plea to the Court and was sentenced in connection with the agreement BP reached with the Department of Justice (DOJ) on November 15, 2012.

As previously announced, BP will pay $4 billion over a period of five years and will serve a term of five years’ probation. Pursuant to the terms of the plea agreement, the Court also ordered certain equitable relief, including additional actions related to BP’s risk management processes as well as several initiatives with academia and regulators to develop new technologies related to deepwater drilling safety.

In addition, as outlined in the company’s November 2012 agreement with the DOJ, BP will appoint a process safety monitor and an ethics monitor, both with a term of four years, and an independent auditor will report annually on BP’s compliance with the remedial terms of probation.

At the hearing today, Luke Keller, a Vice President of BP America Inc., addressed the Court, the families of the deceased, and other victims of the Deepwater Horizon tragedy and reiterated the company's deep regret and apology for its role in the Deepwater Horizon accident.

“We – and by that I mean the men and the women of the management of BP, its Board of Directors, and its many employees – are deeply sorry for the tragic loss of the 11 men who died and the others who were injured that day,” said Mr. Keller. “Our guilty plea makes clear, BP understands and acknowledges its role in that tragedy, and we apologize – BP apologizes – to all those injured and especially to the families of the lost loved ones. BP is also sorry for the harm to the environment that resulted from the spill, and we apologize to the individuals and communities who were injured.”


 

Maritime Reporter August 2015 Digital Edition
FREE Maritime Reporter Subscription
Latest Maritime News    rss feeds

Legal

Greek Coast Guard Seizes Weapons Ship Bound for Libya

Greek authorities have seized a freighter carrying an undeclared shipment of weapons en route from Turkey to Libya, coast guard officials said on Wednesday. A

Cosco CSCL Merger Talks Continue

The closed-door talks on what is believed to be merger discussions between Cosco and China Shipping continue, reports local media.   According to JoC, the Chinese

SHIPPINGInsight to Focus on Ship Telematics

The subject of ship telematics will be prominently featured at the upcoming SHIPPINGInsight 2015 Fleet Optimization Conference & Exhibition, which takes place in Stamford, Conn.

Offshore

Subsea 7 Bags $150 million Offshore UK Contract Maersk

Offshore contractor Subsea 7 has been awarded a $150 million subsea, umbilical, riser and flowline (SURF) contract by Maersk Oil for the development of the Culzean field in the UK North Sea.

SMOE Wins $1bln Multi-platform Culzean Contract

Singapore's offshore services provider Sembcorp Marine has won an engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract worth over USD1 billion for the Culzean

India's Oil Exploration near South China Sea Irks China

The state-run China Daily says that India's plans to conduct oil exploration off Vietnam coast in the South China Sea is "illegal and is an "unwise move" that

 
 
Maritime Standards Naval Architecture Navigation Offshore Oil Port Authority Salvage Ship Simulators Shipbuilding / Vessel Construction Sonar Winch
rss | archive | history | articles | privacy | contributors | top maritime news | about us | copyright | maritime magazines
maritime security news | shipbuilding news | maritime industry | shipping news | maritime reporting | workboats news | ship design | maritime business

Time taken: 0.6059 sec (2 req/sec)