Concordia Captain Tried to Blame Wreck on Electrical Blackout

MarineLink.com
Monday, April 14, 2014
Costa Concordia (Photo courtesy of Boskalis)

The captain of the Costa Concordia tried to persuade the crisis coordinator of the cruise line to pretend an electrical blackout had caused the shipwreck, a court was told on Monday.

The luxury liner hit rocks as it sailed close to the island of Giglio in January 2012, killing 32 people and setting off a chaotic evacuation of crew and passengers, some of who jumped into the sea and swam ashore.

"He suggested we say an (electrical) blackout had caused the collision. I said absolutely not," Roberto Ferrarini, the cruise company's crisis coordinator, told the court where Schettino is fighting charges of manslaughter and causing a shipwreck.

Schettino's lawyer, Domenico Pepe, said Ferrarini's crisis- response group was to blame and had abandoned his client. The lawyer said much of the trouble was caused by a faulty emergency power system. Ferrarini was sentenced last July to two years and 10 months after pleading guilty to manslaughter.

The court heard a recorded conversation between while the ship was sinking.

"I have made a mess and practically the whole ship is flooding," Schettino is heard telling Ferrarini.

"What should I say to the media? .... To the port authorities I have said that we had an (inaudible), we have had a blackout."

The captain is accused of abandoning ship before all passengers and crew were rescued. A coastguard's angry order to him, "Get back on board, damn it!", became a catch phrase in Italy that was printed on t-shirts.

His lawyers say Schettino was thrown overboard because of the angle of the leaning ship. It still lies rusting and is due to be towed away in June to be broken up for scrap.

Costa Cruises, a unit of Carnival Corp, avoided a criminal trial by agreeing to pay 1 million euro ($1.31 million) fine, but victims are pursuing damages in a civil case.

(Reporting by Eleanor Biles, Writing by Naomi O'Leary; Editing by Larry King)

Maritime Reporter October 2014 Digital Edition
FREE Maritime Reporter Subscription
Latest Maritime News    rss feeds

Legal

Third Strike, Mansour Is Out

The M/V "MANSOUR M" with IMO number 7600586 has been banned for the 3rd time after subsequent detentions after the second refusal of access order in the Paris MoU region.

New Company Takes Over OW Tanker

OW Tanker, a unit of bankrupt OW Bunker and owner of its marine fuel supply ships, has been taken over by a newly-created company, the fleet manager told Reuters on Wednesday.

WRRDA: Clearing the Channel for P3 Projects

A Creative Combination for Financing Inland Waterways Infrastructure Earlier this year, the U.S. maritime industry in general, and the inland waterways industry in particular,

Passenger Vessels

Glosten Designing Vigor’s Alaska Class Ferries

Glosten using Nupas-Cadmatic software for Vigor’s Alaska Class Ferry project   Seattle-based naval architecture consultancy Glosten has joined the list of North

Norwegian Buys Ship from Princess Cruises

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. announces fleet expansion for Oceania Cruises in 2016; Sirena to join sister ships Insignia, Regatta and Nautica   Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd.

Getting Real on LNG Fuel

Plentiful supply, low prices and strict regulations on air pollution are fuelling a swift move towards using LNG as fuel for ship propulsion in the USA and Canada.

Salvage

Sunken WWII Landing Craft Refloated

LCT 7074, the last known landing craft to survive the D-Day invasion in 1944, has been refloated as part of a project to lift and save the vessel which began in March 2014,

How Difficult is it to Obtain a Jones Act Waiver?

The American Salvage Association’s Jon Waldron provides the ultimate cabotage primer. There always seems to be constant chatter about waiving the Jones Act. In reality,

Italy Region, Island Seek $274m in Concordia Damages

Officials for Italy's Tuscany region and the island of Giglio said on Monday they would seek a total of 220 million euros ($274 million) in damages from Costa Cruises,

News

USCG Suspend Search for Crabber Near Anacortes, Wash.

The Coast Guard has suspended the search for a crabber reported overdue near Anacortes, Wednesday. Dean Harvey, 48, of Bremerton, remains missing. Search

Third Strike, Mansour Is Out

The M/V "MANSOUR M" with IMO number 7600586 has been banned for the 3rd time after subsequent detentions after the second refusal of access order in the Paris MoU region.

MHI Completes Development of "Sayaringo STaGE"

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. (MHI) has completed development of the "Sayaringo STaGE," a next-generation LNG (liquefied natural gas) carrier. The Sayaringo

Electronics

From Security to Efficiency Modern Vessel Tracking

More so than many other fields of business, the maritime industry is focused on cost, which in turn gives the appearance of being conservative towards technology.

US Navy Evaluating SEWIP for LCS

The U.S. Navy is evaluating a scaled-down version of the Surface Electronic Warfare Improvement Program (SEWIP) system for potential incorporation on future Littoral Combat Ships (LCS),

New Hamburg Süd Ships to Feature Nacos Platinum Systems

L-3 SAM Electronics has announced  that, via its L-3 Marine Systems Korea subsidiary, it has been awarded a contract to provide its NACOS Platinum navigation, automation and control system,

Maritime Safety

USCG Suspend Search for Crabber Near Anacortes, Wash.

The Coast Guard has suspended the search for a crabber reported overdue near Anacortes, Wednesday. Dean Harvey, 48, of Bremerton, remains missing. Search

W&O, LESER Partner to Deliver Safety Relief Valves

W&O, a global supplier to the marine and upstream oil and gas markets for pipe, valves and fittings, valve automation and engineered solutions, has partnered with

Marine Insurance & the “Human Factor”

Insurance underwriters of diversified maritime exposures see a wide variety of approaches taken by vessel operators to manage human error to control risk. They

People in the News

USCG Suspend Search for Crabber Near Anacortes, Wash.

The Coast Guard has suspended the search for a crabber reported overdue near Anacortes, Wednesday. Dean Harvey, 48, of Bremerton, remains missing. Search

NAVCENT Commander Recognizes Journey of Hope Sailors

Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Central Command, U.S. 5th Fleet, Combined Maritime Forces, Vice Adm. John. W. Miller, recognized the accomplishments of three special-needs sailors from the Kuwaiti ship,

NYK Holds 8th Environmental Management Conference

NYK welcomed about 60 environmental supervisors from 47 NYK Group companies to the group’s annual Environmental Management Conference in Tokyo. NYK holds this

 
 
Maritime Contracts Maritime Security Maritime Standards Naval Architecture Navigation Pod Propulsion Port Authority Salvage Ship Electronics Sonar
rss | archive | history | articles | privacy | terms and conditions | contributors | top maritime news | about us | copyright | maritime magazines
maritime security news | shipbuilding news | maritime industry | shipping news | maritime reporting | workboats news | ship design | maritime business

Time taken: 0.1397 sec (7 req/sec)