JK FAB Delivers Emergency Towline Storage Reels
The emergency towing system is a simple and proven means of storing the emergency towline, retrieving the loose barge and continuing the tow.
When the pick-up line is pulled, the emergency tow wire runs completely off the reel and engages with the auxiliary town chain. The chain is connected to a center tow pad, allowing the barge to be towed to the next port. JK Fabrication INC. has just made several major upgrades to the emergency storage reel. The end results are a built-in sprocket flange that allows the customer to retrieve the deployed cable easily, and at a much reduced cost as the previous design. The frame is hot dipped galvanized.
All design changes were approved by a local marine architect. Marine surveyors and ABS have recommended our system to store the emergency cable. JK Fabrication has applied for a patent. HME Construction in Vancouver, WA as well as Harley Marine Services in Seattle, Washington have purchased the newly designed reels. The Coast Guard in Southern California deployed and tested the operation of the storage reel and liked how it performed. These storage reels are for any marine vessel including, barges, ferries, as well as cruise ships, ships and tankers and much more. The wire rope stored on the storage reel could also be used as an under rider for a tandem tow.
- ADVANTAGES OF THE JK FABRICATION SYSTEM:
1. Large capacity of wire, as shown 1600ft of 1¾”, 1200 ft of 2”, 900 ft. of 2¼
2. Unit can be made either smaller or larger to meet individual customers needs
3. Designed and engineered to carry sufficient diameter wire to continue the tow
4. Reusable and transportable, can be moved from one barge or vessel to another
5. Constructed to outlast the barge
6. Can be mounted above or below deck or behind the bullwarks
7. Brake will apply sufficient tension to allow for all hookup before entire cable is deployed
8. Wire can be lubed and covered to dramatically reduce the effects of the marine environment.
9. Can also be mounted on the tug for storing the under rider.