Fighting a fire at sea is one of the greatest dangers facing seafarers. As a result, Videotel, a provider of maritime e-Learning and part of KVH Industries, Inc., has launched an updated five-part series: Firefighting At Sea, with the support and expertise from marine fire specialists and industry experts.
This essential training includes scenes filmed on board the Vectis Osprey and aims to give seafarers basic and refresher training on how fires start, how to prevent them and their respective role in combating a fire on board ship.
Nigel Cleave, CEO of Videotel, explained, “A fire on board a vessel at sea can be highly unpredictable and extremely dangerous. Firefighting at Sea is designed to educate all crew and help them to take immediate and life-saving action.”
The five-part program covers the following topics required under Standards of Training Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW):
- Part 1: Fire Prevention – looks into the theory behind fire and examines how fires start. It introduces the various categories of fire, common problem areas such as the galley and engine room and difficult situations that arise through smoking on board and hot work.
- Part 2: Basic Firefighting – provides an overview of firefighting techniques. Each type of fire requires a different response and this module offers practical guidance that will support the on board training.
- Part 3: Command and Control at the Incident – covers the responsibilities of officers and crew, including selecting and training emergency parties, the duties of each and the importance of fire drills. It also examines a realistic incident from start to finish.
- Part 4: Command and Control by the Master – highlights the need for a rapid response and covers the Master’s options. It similarly follows another realistic incident from start to finish, seen this time from the Master’s perspective.
- Part 5: Machinery Space Fires – tackles the specific area of engine and pump room fires and includes ways to reduce the risk of fire and how to stage effective fire drills.
Firefighting at Sea is available through Videotel on Demand (VOD), VOD Online, DVD and e-Learning CBT - all with accompanying workbook.