From the Navy News Service:
- 1923 - Commissioning of Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, D.C.
- 1926 - Distinguished Flying Cross authorized by Congress.
- 1937 - Amelia Earhart disappears in Pacific. Navy conducts extensive unsuccessful search.
- 1945 - USS Barb (SS 220) bombards Japanese installations on Kaihyo Island, Japan; first successful use of rockets against shore positions.
- 1946 - Establishment of VX-3 to evaluate adaptability of helicopters to naval purposes.
- 1950 - USS Juneau (CLAA 119) and two British ships sink five of six attacking North Korean torpedo boats and gunboats.
- 1967 - During Operation Bear Claw, 7th Fleet Amphibious Force conducts helicopter assault 12 miles inland at Con Thien.