From the Naval News Service:
- 1779 - Amphibious expedition against British in Penobscot Bay, Me.
- 1863 - U.S. Squadron bombards Fort Wagner, N.C.
- 1866 - Rank of Admiral created. David G. Farragut is appointed the first Admiral in the U.S. Navy.
- 1898 - Landing party from armed yacht Gloucester occupies Guanica, Puerto Rico.
- 1912 - First specifications for naval aircraft published.
- 1934 - First President to visit Hawaii, Franklin D. Roosevelt, reaches Hilo on board USS Houston (CA 30).
- 1941 - Bureau of Ordnance issues first Navy "E"certificates (for excellence) for industry.
- 1943 - Launching of USS Harmon (DE 72), first ship named for an African-American.
- 1990 - USS Cimarron (AO 177) rescues 25 refugees adrift southeast of Subic Bay, Philippines.