The cupola of the Ship Island Lighthouse
was delivered and placed on the top of the lighthouse this morning by a helicopter from USCG Air Station
The 900 lbs. copula was placed on the newly reconstructed lighthouse. The friends of the National Seashore Foundation, National Park Service and the Naval Seabee's are coordinating the project.
Over the last six months, USCG Station Gulfport and Aids to Navigation Team Gulfport assisted in the delivery of supplies and personnel to the island for the project.
There has been a lighthouse on Ship Island, Miss. since 1850's. At that time a predecessor of the modern Day Coast Guard, the U.S. Lighthouse Service, manned it. The lighthouse stood at the spot until is was accidentally burned down in 1971.