Videotel Updates 'Fire Fighting at Sea' Training
Maritime e-Learning provider Videotel, part of KVH Industries, says that it has launched an updated five-part series 'Fire Fighting At Sea', with the support and expertise of marine fire specialists and industry experts.
This essential training includes scenes filmed on board the Vectis Osprey and aims to give seafarers basic and refresher training on how fires start, how to prevent them, and their respective role in combatting a fire on board ship.
Nigel Cleave, CEO of Videotel, explains: “A fire on board a vessel at sea can be highly unpredictable and extremely dangerous. Fire Fighting at Sea is designed to educate all crew and help them to take immediate and life saving action.”
The five-part programme covers the following topics required under Standards of Training Certification & Watchkeeping (STCW):
• Part 1: Fire Prevention – looks into the theory behind fire and examines how fires start. It introduces the various categories of fire, common problem areas such as the galley and engine room, and difficult situations that arise through smoking on board and hot work.
• Part 2: Basic Fire Fighting – provides an overview of fire fighting techniques. Each type of fire requires a different response and this module offers practical guidance that will support the on board training.
• Part 3: Command and Control at the Incident – covers the responsibilities of officers and crew, including selecting and training emergency parties, the duties of each, and the importance of fire drills. It also examines a realistic incident from start to finish.
• Part 4: Command and Control by the Master – highlights the need for a rapid response and covers the Master’s options. It similarly follows another realistic incident from start to finish, seen this time from the Master’s perspective.
• Part 5: Machinery Space Fires – tackles the specific area of engine and pump room fires, and includes ways to reduce the risk of fire and how to stage effective fire drills.
'Fire Fighting at Sea' is available through Videotel On Demand (VOD), VOD Online, DVD and e-Learning CBT - all with accompanying workbook.