Six Washington Students Earn Maritime Scholarships
The 11th annual Norm Manly Puget Sound Maritime (PSM) / Youth Maritime Training Association (YMTA) Maritime Educational Scholarship competition was held on Saturday, April 18, 2015 at Compass Course Maritime Training. Six high school seniors in Washington State were awarded the 2015 YMTA Scholarships:
- Bethany Shimasaki from Des Moines and attended Seattle Christian School, volunteers at Seattle Aquarium, and is planning to attend the University of California San Diego, majoring in marine science received a $2,000 scholarship sponsored by Ocean Peace, Inc.
- Rosie Wilcox from Chimacum Pi Program, Chimacum School District with experience at the Community Boat Program is planning to attend NW School of Wooden Boatbuilding in Port Hadlock received the $1,000 scholarship sponsored by John and Anita Crawford & PSM (Puget Sound Maritime) as well as the $500 Pacific Maritime Magazine Scholarship sponsored by RH Philips Publishing Group.
- Donald Lay from Cedarcrest High School in Duvall is planning to attend CMA in marine engineering received the $3,000 scholarship sponsored by Foss Maritime Company
- Connor Vincent from Stadium High School in Tacoma and previously with the Tacoma SSS Odyssey, is also planning to attend CMA in mechanical engineering received the$1,500 scholarship sponsored by Compass Courses Maritime Training
- Christine Kimball from Kent attended Puget Sound Skill Center Marine Science and Technology program and apprenticed at Center for Wooden Boats’ Job Skills Program plans to attend Seattle Maritime Academy’s Marine Engineering Program as well as CMA majoring in Marine Transportation received the $1,000 scholarship sponsored by Ocean Peace, Inc.
- Alyssa Scott from ORCA and Lake Stevens High School is planning to attend WWU majoring in marine and environmental sciences or the UW majoring in marine biology received the $5,000 scholarship sponsored by the Seattle/Pacific Northwest Chapter of Council of American Master Mariners.