This Day in Coast Guard History – Sept. 30
1899-First Navy wireless message was sent via the Lighthouse Service Station at Highlands of Navesink, New Jersey.
1943-CGC E.M. Wilcox foundered off Nags Head, NC. One crewman was lost.
1949-The rank of commodore, established in 1943 as a wartime measure, was terminated by the President under the provisions of an Act of Congress approved 24 July 1941.
1977- The CGC Taney departed Ocean Station "Hotel" on 30 September 1977 when the station was closed and replaced by a buoy. This was the final ocean station patrolled by a Coast Guard cutter.
1994-The crew of Coast Guard LORAN Station Marcus Island decommissioned their station and turned it over to the Japanese Maritime Safety Agency. This was the last station in the Northwest Pacific LORAN chain to be decommissioned and turned over to the Japanese under a 1992 agreement between the U.S. and Japan.
1997- Omega Navigation Station Hawaii ceased operation, coinciding with the end of worldwide Omega transmissions.
(Source: USCG Historian’s Office)