Hapag-Lloyd: U.S. Probe Ends with no Obligations

Maritime Activity Reports, Inc.

February 26, 2019

file Image / CREDIT Hapag-Lloyd

file Image / CREDIT Hapag-Lloyd

Germany's Hapag-Lloyd is cleared of a U.S. Department of Justice probe into the practices of container shipping companies, with no charges brought, a spokesman said on Tuesday.

"Hapag-Lloyd was informed that the U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division is closing its investigation without charges against the company, its affiliates or any other current or former employees," he said.

This followed similar statements by bigger rivals Maersk and Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) earlier in the day.

The investigation could have resulted in large fines at a time when the container sector is struggling with slowing global economic growth. 

Reporting by Vera Eckert

Maritime Reporter E-News subscription

Maritime Reporter E-News is the maritime industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email five times per week

Subscribe for Maritime Reporter E-News