Marine Link
Monday, October 23, 2017

Hamburg Süd Headquarters Being Expanded

November 25, 2014

Dr Ottmar Gast, Chairman of the Executive Board of Hamburg Süd, drops a capsule containing time records into the foundations at the laying of the foundation stone ceremony.

Dr Ottmar Gast, Chairman of the Executive Board of Hamburg Süd, drops a capsule containing time records into the foundations at the laying of the foundation stone ceremony.

 

On 21 November 2014, Hamburg Süd laid the foundation stone for the extension to the shipping company’s headquarters in Hamburg. The new building is going up at Willy-Brandt-Straße (WBS) 63 and 65 on the plots adjacent to the traditional Hamburg Süd head office (WBS 59 and 61). The laying of the foundation stone was performed by Dr Ottmar Gast, Chairman of the Executive Board of Hamburg. True to long-standing tradition, a capsule containing coins and banknotes, a daily newspaper and Hamburg Süd time records was set into the foundations.

Invited to the ceremony were representatives of the City of Hamburg and of the companies involved in construction, among them Schreiber Hochbau

Projektmanagement, which is responsible for overseeing the project, as well as the general planners, firm KSP Jürgen Engel Architekten. In his address, Dr Heino Schmidt, Member of the Executive Board of Hamburg Süd, thanked all the companies working on the building, saying: “Today we are laying the foundation stone for a modern building that is aimed at providing Hamburg Süd’s employees in the future with an attractive and motivating work environment in the heart of Hamburg.”

In addition to the new construction, the listed head office building is undergoing thorough refurbishment and a floor added to the high-rise. The entire complex will draw together all the shipping company’s roughly 800 workplaces currently located in Hamburg. Building work is due to be completed in early 2016.

Maritime Reporter Magazine Cover Oct 2017 - The Marine Design Annual

Maritime Reporter and Engineering News’ first edition was published in New York City in 1883 and became our flagship publication in 1939. It is the world’s largest audited circulation magazine serving the global maritime industry, delivering more insightful editorial and news to more industry decision makers than any other source.

Subscribe
Maritime Reporter E-News subscription

Maritime Reporter E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

Subscribe for Maritime Reporter E-News