This Day in Coast Guard History – October 5
1938- The first members were enrolled in the Coast Guard Reserve.
1943- Patrol Squadron 6 (VP-6 CG) was officially established. This was an all Coast Guard unit. Its home base was at Narsarssuak, Greenland, code name Bluie West-One. It had nine PBY-5As assigned. CDR Donald B. MacDiarmid, USCG, was the first commanding officer. As additional PBYs became available, the units area of operation expanded and detachments were established in Argentia, Newfoundland and Reykjavik, Iceland, furnishing air cover for US Navy and Coast Guard vessels. Hundreds of rescue operations were carried out during the 27 months the squadron was in operation.
(Source: USCG Historian’s Office)