Maritime NZ Oil Spill Response Review: Submissions
Maritime New Zealand (MNZ) says it invites submissions on its draft updated New Zealand Marine Oil Spill Response Strategy 2014 (the draft Strategy).
The draft Strategy, (available at http://bit.ly/1pe6p46) is based on the current version but substantially updated to include lessons learned nationally and internationally in recent years and follows discussion with regional councils, the community and iwi, and industry at a series of public held earlier this year.
The safety agency points out that it is important to note that the strategy does not cover the permitting and approval process for oil and gas exploitation. Neither does it cover emergency response to other hazardous and noxious substances. These issues are “out-of-scope” of this strategy.
Under the Maritime Transport Act 1994, MNZ is required to regularly update the Strategy, last revised in 2006.
The draft Strategy not only provides information about how Maritime NZ responds to marine oil spills, but also, for the first time, sets the vision, principles, goals, and objectives for the next five years for New Zealand’s marine oil spill readiness and response.
When finalised the Strategy will provide a framework within which New Zealand’s approach to managing marine oil spills can continue to develop.
The draft Strategy identifies four key goals:
- New Zealand is able to respond to a significant marine oil spill
- New Zealand’s readiness and response is evidence-based, intelligence-led and meets international best practice
- Maritime NZ builds and maintains relationships that will improve readiness and response to marine oil spills and help meet international obligations
- Industry and regional readiness and response capability is matched to the scale of their responsibility and risk
The goals and objectives will shape the future capability requirements for New Zealand and Maritime NZ and the resources needed to give effect to this capability.
Make a submission
• e-mail to [email protected]
• ordinary post to Oil Spill Response Strategy Review, Maritime New Zealand, PO Box 25620, Wellington 6146
• fax to (04) 494 8901
• delivery to Maritime New Zealand, level 11, 1 Grey Street, Wellington
The deadline for making a submission is 5.00pm on Monday 25 August 2014.