Update: Eight Dead in Ferry Fire

Maritime Activity Reports, Inc.

December 29, 2014

  • Photo: Italian Coastguard
  • Photo: Italian Coastguard
  • Photo: Italian Coastguard Photo: Italian Coastguard
  • Photo: Italian Coastguard Photo: Italian Coastguard

Rescue teams on Monday completed the evacuation of 427 people from a car ferry that caught fire off Greece's Adriatic coast, working through the night and defying high seas and freezing weather in a 36-hour drama.

Eight people were killed in the incident and many others could be missing, prompting Italian authorities to continue an air search of the sea around the vessel while they sought to verify the number of passengers who had been on board.

The fire broke out on a vehicle deck of the Norman Atlantic ferry, whose manifest said should be carrying 478 passengers and crew and more than 200 vehicles, early on Sunday. Rescue efforts were complicated by bad weather.

Italian and Greek helicopters began airlifting passengers from the upper deck as the ferry drifted in rough seas between Greece and Italy on Sunday afternoon and continued throughout the night.

"It was hell," Dimitra Theodossiou, a Greek soprano opera singer, told Italy's la Repubblica newspaper. She was evacuated by helicopter during the night.

"It was very cold, terribly cold. Nearby ships sprayed water from their hydrants (to fight the fire) and we were completely wet," she said.

She was treated for a mild case of hypothermia at a hospital in Lecce, Italy, and later released.

The Italian captain, Argilio Giacomazzi, abandoned the ship once all others had been evacuated, Italian Transport Minister Maurizio Lupi said.

Fifty-six crew members were evacuated, while 234 of those rescued were Greek, 54 Turkish, 22 Albanians and 22 Italians, Lupi said.

He would not confirm a report from Greece that there were 38 still missing.

"It's absolutely premature" to say how many are missing, Lupi said.

Some of those rescued were not on the original ship's manifest, and Italian authorities are looking for a definitive list of passengers to cross-check it with the names of the survivors, he said, adding that it was possible that there were illegal migrants aboard.

A medical team and a flight operator had boarded the vessel to assist the passengers and crew during the rescue, the Italian navy said. Its San Giorgio amphibious transport ship coordinated the rescue operation.

A merchant ship carrying a reported 49 of the ferry passengers, including four children, arrived in the southern Italian port of Bari early on Monday.

Bad weather hampered efforts overnight to attach cables to the ferry for towing. Pictures from Monday afternoon showed the ship still smouldering, and Lupi said tow cables attached overnight broke.

Though some expected it would be towed to the Italian port of Brindisi, the destination has not yet been announced.

The Italian-flagged ferry, chartered by Greek ferry operator Anek Lines, was sailing from Patras in western Greece to Ancona in Italy.

The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.

Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi, speaking at a year-end news conference in Rome, praised the work of the Italian-led rescue effort, which he said had helped avoid a "massacre".

(By Steve Scherer and James Mackenzie; Additional reporting by Antonio Defano in Bari, George Georgiopoulos in Athens and Isla Binnie in Rome; Editing by Angus MacSwan)


Maritime Reporter Magazine Cover May 2019 - Propulsion Annual - Green Marine Tech

Maritime Reporter and Engineering News’ first edition was published in New York City in 1883 and became our flagship publication in 1939. It is the world’s largest audited circulation magazine serving the global maritime industry, delivering more insightful editorial and news to more industry decision makers than any other source.

Maritime Reporter E-News subscription

Maritime Reporter E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week

Subscribe for Maritime Reporter E-News