Marine link
 
Articles - Ship Repair - History

Vietnam Government Approves Keppel/BaSon Joint Venture Shipyard

The Vietnamese government has approved a joint venture between Keppel and BaSon Shipyard of Vietnam to provide general shiprepair, shipbuilding and steel fabrication services in the region. Keppel BaSon Shipyard & Engineering Ltd. (Keppel BaSon) is expected to commence operations in the first half of 1994.

The joint venture is incorporated in Vietnam with a paid-up capital of $4.4 million. Keppel owns 60 percent of the shareholding, BaSon the remaining 40 percent.

The new company will repair and build ships for foreign and Vietnamese shipowners. It will also provide steel fabrication and engineering services to support the growing industrial development of Vietnam as well as the country's active gas and oil industry. Keppel BaSon will operate from a 9.9-acre site belonging to BaSon Shipyard, including a slipway and three docks comprising one drydock of 17,000-dwt capacity and two floating docks of 20,000-dwt and 5,000-dwt capacity.

The new company also intends to develop its own facilities such as workshops, cranes, fabrication yards and building berths for vessels up to about 328 ft. (100 meters) long. BaSon Shipyard is one ofthe largest shiprepair enterprises in Vietnam. Operating a 64.2-acre yard in Ho Chi Minh City on the Saigon River, it has a workforce of about 2,500 workers and is equipped with three docks, a slipway, as well as a wharf and workshop facilities capable of repairing vessels up to 20,000 dwt. For more information on Keppel BaSon, Circle 122 on Reader Service Card




Ship Repair History

ABB Turbocharger Repairs VTR..4 Turbine Blades
ABB Turbocharger: Renewed Focus On Quality, Customer Service
Agreement Finalized For Purchase And Cleanup Of Seattle Waterfront Property
Bender Shipbuilding And ENSCO Drilling Christen Drilling Barge
BethShip Sparrows Point Expands Orderbook
Dutch Builders Enjoy Influx Of International Orders
FPSO And Cruise Ship Work Dominate Repair Market
Going Deep
Heightened Environmental Pressures, Rising Freight Rates Buoy Ship Repair Industry Announces New Contracts
HHI Starts ' 97 Strong Korean yard wins bulker contract from Norway's Bergesen to start year
Keppel Joint Venture Results In Australia Yard Opening
Lisnave Reports Upbeat Quarter; Discusses Future Plans
Mackay's World Me Department: Local sendee on a global scale
Making It A Clean Sweep
MAN B&W—Hamburg service center
Norshipco Completes Work On Double-Hull Tanker Stena Concertina Acquire Air & Water Technologies Unit
Norshipco Repairs Navy Swath Ahead Of Schedule
Petrobras Block Booking For ASRY
Portland's Ship Repair Business Strengthened With Cascade General Sale
Practical Guide to the Year 2000 Problem
Promotions For Newport News' Top Executives
Renovation Of Inland Service Tug Completed
SHIP REPAIR & CONVERSION: Review of 1994
Ship Structure Committee Publishes Reports On Fatigue Curves And Underwater Repair Procedures
Shipbuilding in South Korea… Expansion Continues
Southwest Marine Inc. Expands Into New Market President And CEO
The Need To Rationalize Navy ship Maintenance Capacitu
U.S. Northwest: Ship repair Activity Picks Up
Viking Sun job welcomed in Malta
Welding Technique Helps Navy Save Millions
 
rss feeds | archive | privacy | history | articles | contributors | top news | contact us | about us | copyright