Egypt has completed dredging for the new shipping route in the Suez Canal, says the government sources. The mega national project ‘New Suez Canal’ is scheduled to be inaugurated on August 6.
Egypt has invited all countries worldwide to take part in the inauguration ceremony of the New Suez Canal Project, slated for August 6, Foreign Minister Samih Shukri said.
“The invitation was extended for all as this important project is linked with international trade,” Shukri said.
This marks the dredging of a total of 250 million square metres and the digging of 70 million square metres in the expansion of the Ballah Bypass. The Bypass's width is now 312 metres, compared to the previous 61 metres.
The government will fund the opening ceremony of the new waterway through donations from the public and contributions from participating dredging companies to avoid any burdens on the state budget, the head of the Suez Canal Authority
, Mohab Mamesh, said last month. The ceremony will be organized by the UK’s WPP Company for advertising and public relations.
The new 72-Kilometer long canal is established parallel to the current Suez Canal; it aims to speed up transit time and allow ships to sail into both directions at the same time.
So far, the dry excavation works have been completed. The Armed Forces announced that 98.4 percent of the dredging works in the new Suez Canal has been accomplished.
Launched in August 2014, the national project was given only one year for its completion, which was deemed by the government as an “important challenge” to revive the Egyptian economy.