Manila Port Congestion Eased: Palace

Maritime Activity Reports, Inc.

March 2, 2015

Manila International Container Terminal (by Philippine Ports Authority)

Manila International Container Terminal (by Philippine Ports Authority)

 Malacañang has declared that the congestion at the Port of Manila has been resolved, noting the various measures that the government and the private sector have implemented to address the problem.

 
Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said the operations at the Port of Manila have been completely normalized with the combined efforts of the Cabinet cluster on port decongestion and the technical working group of various agencies.
 
“There was a time that the ports and all the container yards were flooded with empty containers. As of the end of February 2015, this is no longer the situation,” Secretary to the Cabinet Jose Rene Almendras said in a statement.
 
Almendras said the combined efforts of the Cabinet Cluster on Port Decongestion, the Technical Working Group of various agencies and cooperation from the private sector helped normalize operations at the Port of Manila.
 
“Over the past three weeks, the ships with berthing schedules were accommodated accordingly. For ships that arrive unscheduled, they were able to dock within 24 to 60 hours from arrival,” he said. “Since November 2014, more cargo has been moved at a faster rate than prior to congestion. By February 2015, the benefits of a fully decongested port are in place,” Almendras said.
 
According to Lacierda, the long Christmas holidays last year, as well as the passage of Typhoon Amang, the Feast of the Black Nazarene and the visit of Pope Francis in January also constricted movement at the port and extended the period of resolution.
 
However, the Philippine Exporters Confederation, Inc. (PhilExport) contradicted the announcement, saying the effects of the supposed decongestion in two Manila ports have yet to be felt.
 
“We are still having difficulties and delays. The truckers are still charging the same rate as when there is congestion and I do not know when they will lower their rates,” Sergio R. Ortiz-Luis, Jr., PhilExport president said
Maritime Reporter E-News subscription

Maritime Reporter E-News is the maritime industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email five times per week

Subscribe for Maritime Reporter E-News