Kelvin Hughes has introduced its latest Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS) designed for commercial ships as well as naval and coastguard patrol vessels.
Available as a standalone ECDIS or as part of a truly multifunction bridge display network with multiple operator positions, the new ECDIS is type approved to meet the latest International Hydrographic Office (IHO) and International Maritime Organization
(IMO) standards. It offers an optional mil-spec processor with advanced LED display hardware in a fully integrated, easy to install and retrofit, console package.
With the advance of paperless bridges, the ability to view the chart from any bridge display position via a dual network, not only reduces the workload with distributed chart corrections, user-defined graphics and routes, but also eliminates the single point of failure as all positions in effect become potential ECDIS back-up displays.
The ECDIS uses the latest IHO standards and specifically the latest presentation library, version 4 within S-52. This contains instructions for the drawing engine within the ECDIS on how to display symbols, colors and line styles on the screen and brings greater consistency to the display of ENC data while reducing alarm fatigue.
The InstaCHART software architecture reduces the waiting time for the user when loading ENC cells. ENC installation is now twice as fast, and charts redraw when altering the zoom level is almost instantaneous with no black screen.
Kelvin Hughes said the new ECDIS includes new and improved features to benefit the user:
- Look ahead (marker and depth areas relevant to the ships course at an adjustable time period)
- Anchor watch (visual and audible alarm of actual position in relation to swing circle)
- Anchor dragging risk (notifies if the anchor may be dragging and exceeds the new IEC 61174 standard)
- Navtex compatibility (removes the need to print messages as they can now be displayed on screen)
- Maximize chart area (provides the ability to hide the menu side bar)
- Best scale option (automatically selects the best chart viewing scale)
- Admiralty Information Overlay (AIO via CAES)
- AIS and radar target layers (supports additional layers)
- One click chart updates and permit renewal
- Remote diagnostics
- Improved route planning tools
The LED widescreen display is available in 22" and 26" sizes and is an easy to install console display with an integrated 5th generation processor and 64bit operating system which
can be easily integrated into any bridge or operations room.