BMT SMART Ltd., the specialist fleet and vessel performance management company of BMT Group
, will launch its new SMARTFLEET Management system at Nor-Shipping in Oslo next month. Technical experts will be on hand to showcase the system and its capabilities whilst discussing with delegates their specific challenges and needs.
Peter Mantel, Managing Director of BMT SMART commented, “Whilst there are cost savings to be made through on-board optimization, these are often extremely hard to quantify in a verifiable way and these types of tools can be seen as a burden to the crew. It’s for this reason that we wanted to focus our attention on shore-side performance management and provide ship owners and charterers with an easy to use shore based management tool which can manage whole fleets of vessels and not just those that they own and operate.”
The SMARTFLEET Management system uses metocean data in combination with BMT’s algorithms to isolate the different components that contribute to overall vessel performance and in turn, help identify the cause of the inefficiencies and quantify the effectiveness of any adjustments that have been made.
The system incorporates five KPIs:
- Power coefficient – used to monitor the propulsive power. Increased power absorption, due to the effect of fouling on the hull or propeller for example, is reflected by an increase in the power coefficient value
- Fuel coefficient – has similar features and characteristics to the power coefficient, but it represents the overall changes to fuel consumption, due to the efficiency of the main engine, as well as the vessel’s resistance
- Hull condition coefficient – gives the relationship between the shaft rev/min and the vessel speed through the water. This provides a measure of changes to the hull condition over time
- Propeller condition coefficient – is used to monitor the efficiency of the propeller by modeling the relationship between shaft power and rate of revolutions
- SFOC coefficient – is used to the monitor the efficiency of the engine.
Peter Mantel continued, “Nor-Shipping provides us with a great opportunity to demonstrate to industry the range of solutions we have on offer – all of which we believe can help optimize shipping operations worldwide. Our recent partnership agreements with both Aage Hempel and AMI Maritime reinforce our commitment to engaging with like-minded companies and push us closer to our goal of providing world leading local service at all major shipping ports.”