SunStone Orders Third Expedition Ship from China
SunStone Ships, Inc. announced it has finalized an agreement with shipbuilder China Merchants Industry Holdings Co. Ltd. to build a third Infinity class expedition cruise vessel, to be named Ocean Victory. The newbuild is scheduled to be delivered in March 2021.
SunStone’s President & CEO, Niels-Erik Lund, commented, “We are pleased with the rapid adoption of the Infinity-class vessels. It seems our European design and technology, combined with lower overall operating costs ticks all the boxes for the small and expedition-ship market.”
SunStone signed a long-term time charter contract for the Ocean Victory. The vessel will be technically managed by Cruise Management International, Miami, and hotel operations will be handled by CMI Leisure, Miami.
The shipbuilding contract was signed at the offices of Stephenson Harwood, SunStone’s legal advisors in connection with the Infinity class vessels. The three-day meeting in Paris included a total of 20 representatives from:
- CMIH - contract partner for building the vessel.
- China Merchants Heavy Industry - shipyard building the vessel
- SunStone Ships - contracting party on behalf of the buyer
- SunStone Marine Advisors - company supervising the construction of the vessel
- Ulstein Design and Solution - Norwegian company who has designed the vessel from a technical point of view, and who is responsible for the delivery of the technical equipment package, supervising the technical construction of the vessel
- Makinen, Finland - responsible for the construction of all interior spaces of the vessel
- Tillberg Design USA - interior designer for the vessel
Ocean Victory – main specifications:
Length: 104.4 m
Breadth: 18.4 m
Draught: 5.1 m
Speed: 15.5 knots
Crew: 100 crew in 57 cabins
Passenger capacity: 200 passengers in 93 suites, 68 with balconies, nine with French balconies and 16 with panoramic windows
Ocean Victory will feature three onboard restaurants and one open deck dining facility, observation lounge, lecturer lounge, piano bar, gym and spa facilities, library, shops, changing facilities for Zodiac excursions, 20 Zodiacs, swimming pool, jacuzzis and a pool bar.
The ship’s technical features include X-Bow inverted bow concept, Zero Speed Stabilizers, Safe Return to Port, Dynamic Positioning, Polar Code 6, Ice Class 1A.
The first Infinity class ship, named the Greg Mortimer, is scheduled for delivery August 2019 and goes on charter to Aurora Cruises, Australia.